Why not? I do actually like writing them. I’ll use last year’s format.
Did two half marathons. That was my distance goal for this year. Made it.
Sadly still not enough. I’ve learnt a LOT more technical skills, but actual programming time is still, bizarrely, way down on past years. I did fix some long standing niggling issues with Haskerdeux though and made some useful changes to Bozohttpd.
After that nice period at the start of the year where I got films up from last year I finally gave up (or more correctly: “admitted defeat”) on film photography and decided to just start using my phone. I’ll always miss film, but I actually don’t mind some of shots I’ve made.
- Northanger Abbey (Finished, had started last year)
- Valley of the Dolls
- Catcher in the Rye
- Wind up bird Chronicles
- To the Lighthouse
- The Trick is to Keep Breathing
- Handmaid’s Tale (half way through the series being broadcast; I knew I’d read some Margaret Atwood as a teenager, but couldn’t recall for sure if I’d read this; Still can’t, but it was very good).
Gave up on reading over half way through the year (with good reason!) to try to re-learn Italian; After being fortunate enough to go to Italy again on holiday and being frustrated that I’d let it all slip again I got back and basically invested all my reading time into DuoLingo and completed the Italian course (just the other day; Subjuntive Imperfects nearly had me though) in less than half a year.
Loads of good albums (last year I picked just songs):
- Highly Flammable - Nadia Rose (my album of the year)
- Nobody Ever Really Dies - NERD (Admittedly I only ever really knew Lap Dance, but Lightning Fire Magic Prayer is superb)
- South City - Too Many Ts
- Instant Pleasures - Shed Seven (If I’m honest, Nothing to Live Down far outshines everything else)
- Prophets of Rage - Prophets of Rage
- Visions of a Life - Wolf Alice
- Dumb Days - Tired Lion
- Jenks - DBFC
- Lotta Sea Lice - Courtney Barnett, Kurt Vile
- Out in the Storm - Waxahatchee
- Ubai - Ibibio Sound Machine
Wow, that’s a great year in hindsight.
- A marathon at some point (well, in distance - I’m only racing myself).
- I really could do with finding a Go project I’m actually motivated to do. Have half plans forming in my head.
- I’d like to get some nice portrait photos on my phone, I don’t think it’s cut out for it though (I miss using my F2.8/135mm lens).
- Tone the Italian learning down a bit and just practise that course over the next year (as ever I need to do more of the spoken practice) so I can pick reading back up and read the remaining Virginia Woolf novels.
- Listen to Marmozets all February.
Almost forgot: Perhaps the biggest achievement of the year was finally finishing our Christmas jar of pickled onions - has taken me at least three years.