And a whole heap of other stuff I’ve been listening to recently:
- Beastie Boys - Hot Sauce Committee, Part II. Well, it’s not as bad as Tyler the Creator and Goblin, but it’s nothing special either.
- The Vaccines - What Did You Expect From the Vaccines?. Not coming from any of my usual recommendation sources (TLOBF, Guardian New Band of the Day, nor Huw Stephen’s Introducing), but rather from the missus. Post Break-Up Sex is the only highlight (from the album that is, not the relationship with the missus).
- Noah and the Whale - Last Night on Earth. L.I.F.E.G.O.E.S.O.N is obviously catchy and very good. I can never figure out what songs like this are spelling out though. My brain is just not capable of holding the letters in my head long enough and gets all confused. So it wasn’t until I saw it written down that I knew what they were going on about. Still, I liked it though.
- Sebadoh - Bakesale. Doing a spot of visiting the skipped past - some how Sebadoh passed me by as a teenager even though I listened to Dinosaur Jr, Pavement, etc. It’s ok, but nothing special, so perhaps I didn’t miss out after all.
- The Weeknd - House of Balloons. I don’t like R&B do I? There is certainly something about The Morning though (and it was free to download so there was no harm in finding out).
- Top Surprise - Recommended by a random stranger on Last.fm. Actually pretty ok. Saturn (The Season) is my favourite, Home is also very good. Lots of reverb and fuzz. Nice. It’s free so there’s really no reason not to listen.