There is a reason why my wife and kids put up with me...
I wanted to make some ginger cake, but we didn't have any of the required dark ingredients so I made this up instead:
For the cake:
- 3 eggs from Primrose the duck (other ducks are available)
- 8oz of self-raising flour
- 4oz of caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons of ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons of mixed spice
- 4oz of butter/marg
- About 2 dessertspoons of mincemeat
- Enough milk to get that oh-so-soft dropping consistency
I add all the dry ingredients, then the butter to get breadcrumbs, then the eggs, then the mincemeat and the milk. Separate into two tins. Bake somewhere between 180 to 200 degrees C.
For the filling:
- Butter icing with about 2 dessertspoons of mincemeat